Monday 26 May 2008

Radiation Therapy - Week TEN

DAY ONE

All ... BUT!!

Arriving at the hospital, I was struck by the almost overwhelming sense of being so close to my final treatment, that I could barely contain my excitement!

In the back of my mind a familiar tape was playing: "37 down ... 1 to go"!

Greeting me, the receptionist commented: "Second last one ... John"?

To which I responded with a resounding: "YES!"


No time for a cup of tea

On my arrival at the dining room, I was surprised to see; not one, but two; Radiation Technicians waiting for me. Each, looking as excited as I felt!

"Are you ready"? They asked in unison, with more than a hint of collusion!

"Try and stop me"! Were the words that spilled out of my mouth ...

Next, I was whisked off to change (into my 'sexy' ... 'smiley face' ... hospital gown) and then ushered straight into the treatment room.


The Good-byes Start

"Hi Charlie".

I bellowed out as I greeted one of the nicest blokes you would be likely to meet anywhere. Charlie was an real 'old gentleman' with the emphasis on 'gentleman'.

Like many others of his vintage, this 'old digger' would only reluctantly accept being referred to as a gentleman; but he would not take kindly to the 'old bit'!

Although 83 years of age, Charlie was 'young at heart' and great fun to be around!

Charlie and I had bonded weeks before and had enjoyed swapping stories about our past and our hopes for the future.

It turned out, that we had lived for many years, in not one, but 3 different Sydney suburbs at the same time; but had never met ... until now!


"Good day ... mate" Charlie said in return, and then added: "This is your second last day isn't it"?

"Yup ... it sure is old mate"!


About 2 metres into 'the tunnel' that leads to the Linear Accelerator; Charlie and I exchanged 'Hi fives" and an emotional hug, we then reluctantly parted; Charlie to his home of 25 years and me to begin my second last treatment.


The treatment went very well; first the pelvic region (prostate treatment) and then the left breast and finally the right breast.

Immediately after treatment one of the newer young Radiation Technicians entered the room to prepare for the next patient.

"Buenos dias senor". "Buenos dias". I returned and followed by: "Como esta"?

To which she responded: "Muy bien, por favor".

We both laughed heartily ... another Spanish lesson was over, for yet another day.

No comments: