Friday 23 May 2008

Radiation Therapy - Week NINE

DAY FOUR


Boob Job

It turns out that the tracings of my boobs were not confined simply to posterity, they were also used to trace an exact replica (of my boobs) onto two large sheets of lead!

These were then 'cut out' (circular saw I suspect) to the shape of my left and right boobs (one for each) and were to be used to screen my chest, except for the areas indicated by the doctor's original sketchings!

I watched as these new 'shields' were snapped into place and then I was instructed to climb onto yet another 'incline gadget' only to be 'trussed up' again.

Then they lowered the 'boom' (actually they lowered one 'arm' of the Linear Accelarator) right onto my boob - alright then - a couple of millimitres clearance; I sure felt uncomfortable close!

The treatment itself lasted only about 8-10 seconds and was then repeated for the other breast.


Regular Radiation Treatment

Then it was time to 're-tool' for the prostate treatment. Before long, it was all over and I was no worse for the wear!

"Now ... back to work, I guess"!

No comments: