Thursday 10 April 2008

Radiation Therapy - Week THREE

DAY FOUR

Well ... today represented a milestone as far as my treatment is concerned. Today I arrived the '25% completed mark' i.e. Ten treatments now complete and ONLY thirty to go!


Makes You Wonder!

A strange thing happened today! Just prior to my treatment, I was looking around for something to casually read; you know, to take my mind off things. Suddenly I spied an interesting looking clipboard with certain information sheets on it - 'dumped' beside one of the visitors chairs and a pile of what looked like discarded papers ready for the shredder.


Hmm ... I wonder what that is?


Now with my curiousity piqued, I figured that a 'quick' look wouldn't be out of the question. And so, with the documents [on the clipboard] now clasped firmly in my hand, I noticed that the content was actually a summary of all patients who had died over the past several years!

Now, for some inane reason, I blurted out to my daughter who was my accomplice before the fact:

"I'll bet you that my name is on this list"!

Guess what? It was!

Now just in case you're interested; I 'John Purcell' died [of cancer] while still a patient of the hospital [in question] on 8th August 2005!

I of course, was simply hoping that this was not a 'predictive' list i.e. an estimate based on the current prognosis with a mistake made concerning the year! I'm not sure I'm in a hurry to see the 8th August this year - just in case!


Do the Right Thing!

Well ... yes I did do the responsible thing! I took the list to my friend 'Nurse Judy' and [hamming it up] stated:

"You've got the wrong date on this"!

Nurse Judy's response; once she read the document I handed over; was one of shock, disbelief and outrage!

As I left her office, having explained just how those documents came into my possession; I could hear her mumbling:

"Admin ... they got a lot to answer for! Just wait 'til I see ..."


Treatment

Yes, my treatment went well again today, thanks for asking!

No comments: