Monday 28 April 2008

Radiation Therapy - Week SIX

DAY ONE


Today, being Monday, I was scheduled for my regular weekly reiview of my treatment with the Radiation Oncologist. After filling in the weekly survey (4 pages of quite intimate questions) I was ushered in to discuss my treatment.

To all intents and purposes, my treatment is going very well. The doctor was particularly pleased, that after 19 treatments that I have NO significant side effects resulting from the radiation! I'm particularly pleased about that too!

On the other hand, the side effects associated with the Hormone Therapy, are beginning to 'get a little weird'!

First, I discovered that the hair under my arms (read armpits) has simply disappeared!

Second, I noticed, belatedly, that the hair on my stomach and chest had 'all but' disappeared.

Third, I noticed that my armpits were really sensitive to touch!

Fourth, my 'pectoral muscles (hmmm ... man-boobs) are getting larger and the nipples are not only senitive but also sore.

Upon mentioning the above to the Oncologist it turns out that there's nothing much that can be done - except for the 'man-boobs'!

It seems that an amount of radiation aimed precisely at the 'problem area' can somehow resolve this issue and I won't have to be fitted for a 'trainer bra'! That of course came as enormous relief!


My treatment once again went without a hitch; which I must admit, I tend to take for granted at times.

When it's all said and done however, I am extermely grateful for the technology that is giving me a chance at a cure.

Not only is my hosptial one of the few in the country to possess such technology but it was also the very first to have it available in the country!


No comments: