Wednesday 14 May 2008

Radiation Therapy - Week EIGHT

DAY THREE


Too Good to be True

Well the day started off like so many others … but ended quite differently!

My trip to the Hospital went without incident, and with the usually formalities over, I made my way to the kitchen for my regular ‘cup of tea’.

With morning tea over, and the time ‘getting on’ I decided to head off to get changed.

So far, so good!

Now, regular readers will know that I have had nothing but praise for the staff of the Radiation Oncology Department (apart from one minor hiccup over phone details). But that’s now changed!

After changing, I headed to the ‘chairs’ to await my appointment … my presence meant that there were now four of us waiting there.

Then it happened … an ‘over-efficient’, ‘strictly-by-the-book’, ‘do-as-I-tell-you’ type nurse came by and starting quizzing the four of us as to what we were doing there!

Well, it turned out that the new (Acting) NUM had decided that a maximum of two patients could wait there; the rest would have to return to the outer waiting room, where we would be sitting amongst every ‘Tom, Dick and Harry who waltzed into the place – in our rather sexy hospital gowns!!

Well, being in a nice mood, I conceded to the request along with one of the women who had also trespassed!

Now as it happened, a few minutes later a young trainee came and ushered me back to the (inner) waiting area, where I once again took a seat!

Just as the young trainee disappeared from view … there she was again!!

“What are you doing back in here”?

“This time, I was given a special invitation”!

“Well you know you shouldn’t be here …”

“Just a minute where do you think you are going … “apparently another person had attempted to ‘sneak in’ but nurse: “I’m-the-boss”, doesn’t miss a trick!

“Now you just stay right there …”

“Mr. Purcell you can come in now”! ‘Thanks”!

“Now where did that other one go”?

No comments: