Tuesday 8 April 2008

Radiation Therapy - Week THREE

DAY TWO

Today we were 'racing against the clock' a bit! Even though we allowed 90 minutes to make a 30 minute journey; BUT ... it rained ... and rained ... and rained! And the traffic slowed to a dead stop, so many times; that we thought for a while, we were not going to make it on time!

Well, we arrived at the hospital at 10:50am, for my 11:15am appointment; very much relieved ... at least I know that I was; only to find that the Radiation Department was well behind schedule anyway.

Treatment number 8, went off without a hitch; and we were back in the car and on the way home before we knew it!


Celebrities


The grandchildren have become quite the celebrities at the hospital. Partly because they represent hope for the future; in an environment which otherwise could represent death or at least many valiant efforts to defeat 'premature' death! And partly because they are just so darn cute!

Little Matti has become something of a star, as 'Nurse Judy' has taken a real shine to her! We no sooner arrive, and Nurse Judy has wisked Matti away from her mother and is off on her 'rounds' to show her off!!

Well today, Banjo decided that he wanted to (once again) accompany grandad to the change room after treatment. I always get a kick out of this! But today, unbeknown to Banjo or me, several of the staff were watching on! I heard the commotion and the: "Now that's really cute / adorable / so nice" etc, and thought that it was Matti once again stealing the show!!





It was only when Banjo and I emerged from the change room that I realised what had happened ... it felt pretty good I must say!

While on the subject of feeling good, I cannot stress (pardon the pun) the absolute importance of remaining as 'upbeat' as possible; even through all the setbacks and challenges! Having my daughter and her two children accompany me each day is like medicine to my soul!

Thanks Lauren!!!

No comments: