Wednesday 16 April 2008

Radiation Therapy - Week FOUR

DAY THREE

Today, was our last day with our daughter and grandchildren, before they start out on their return trip to Chile. Consequently there was an informal 'farewell' at the Hospital - with more than a few tears!

Both Matti and Banjo (not to mention their mother - Lauren) have won a great many hearts in the Oncology Department over the past 4 weeks. It was a great time of 'well-wishing', mixed with genuine sorrow, as new friends parted. It was quite touching as parents/grandparents to witness this.


Banjo's last day at the Oncology Department


Today, we attended the Oncology Department for:

(1) My regular treatment, and

(2) An appointment with a Dietician.

The Radiation treatment went well as usual without any delays - the Linear Accelerators have been causing some problems this week.


My appointment with the Dietician was interesting. It turns out that my diet has been somewhat inadequate. Although, impressed with my diet and goals overall, the Dietician pointed out one major floor - no Protein! That is, I had eliminated all red meat from my diet.

The result, was that without protein from red meat, I was undoubtedly anaemic (low in iron) and this no doubt was contributing to my fatigue level.


I quickly moved past the 'what a fool' stage and moved straight onto the 'you beaut' stage ... I LOVE red meat!!

And so what did we do you ask? We went out that night to a nice restaurant and enjoyed a wonderful meal containing ... you guessed it 'red meat'!

No comments: