Monday 21 April 2008

Radiation Therapy - Week FIVE

DAY ONE

Today marked a new phase in my treatment; today, I started back at work! This meant, carrying out my normal duties until 10:am and then driving for 30 minutes to the Hospital for my scheduled treatment.

This was followed by a light lunch and then a 30 minute drive back to work to complete my shift!

I wasn't sure if I would have the strength and the stamina to undergo such a routine; but to my delight, I was able to fulfill all that was required of me on both fronts!

Arriving at the Oncology Department, I made my way straight to the 'dining' area for a cup of tea. There before me was: Nurse Judy, head in hands, lost in her private thoughts and sporting a rather solemn look!

It soon became obvious why she was so glum!
As I sat down beside her I overheard ...

"Oh, I miss my daaarrling soooo much..."
These were the first words that greeted me, until she became aware that I was seated beside her! Ohh its you! Tell me ALL about it ... how did their trip go? Are they OK?

The two of us sat there reminiscing, about the time we spent with Lauren and her children; both a little teary as we sipped our tea - covering up the odd sniff of emotion!


The treatment went well today, albeit that it was about 45 minutes late! Lunch was a little rushed as I wanted to see just how long I would [normally] be absent from work. I didn't want to 'stretch the friendship' as the Chairman of the Board had been so understanding and generous with time allocation and offer of support etc.

At the close of the day, I sat and reflected on what was an eventful and satisfying day! I was now convinced that I would be able to complete the remaining 23 treatments, while at the same time being gainfully employed.

It is important for me that this be so! I know, if I were to sit alone at home before and after attending treatment each day that I would become too 'cancer-focused' and this would prove highly detrimental to the treatment outcome!

Working also provides me with a sense of having some control over my life's events; not to mention some sense of normality! With so much 'taken from you' this is of vital importance!!

No comments: