Wednesday 13 February 2008

PSA Level

I attended our local GP's surgery for another blood test last Friday. Specifically, this blood test was to:

  • Determine whether my PSA reading [originally 84.8] had continued to drop. Thus showing that the hormonal therapy I have been undergoing for the past 3 months, has in fact had the desire affect; and

  • Determine whether my cholesterol readings had continued to improve as a result of my [now] 'extremely healthy' diet.



I can now report the following:

  • My PSA level has continued to decrease! My PSA level in September 2007 was 84.8; in November 2007 it was 12 and in February 2008 it is now 4.8!!

  • My Cholesterol level has risen sharply? My Cholesterol level in September 2007 was 6.8; in November 2007 it was 6.3 and in February 2008 it is now 7.8??

The PSA result is of course great news, particularly given that I have only been on the Hormonal Therapy for 3 months. However, the cholesterol level is somewhat disappointing. I say somewhat, because somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to recollect reading that 'hormonal therapy' can cause such an unexpected (and inaccurate) result. I'll have to follow this up with further research.

Tomorrow I see my Urologist for the first time since 20 November last year. I just hope for his sake he is ready for me ... I have a 'mountain of questions' for him. For a report back, read "Silver Lining" tomorrow.

No comments: