Friday 15 February 2008

Latest LHRH Implant

I attended the Urologist's Surgery in Monavale to receive an injection of a luteinising hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH)- specifically a 'Goserelin acetate implant' (the generic name) or Zoladex (the product name).




For a video demonstration of the proper technique for administering Zoladex please click here.


LHRH Agonists

The 'original' 3.6mg formulation of Zoladex has been available since 1989 as a monthly implant. The new formation, 10.8 mg goserelin acetate implant given every three months, offers greater convenience to subjects choosing treatment with a luteinizing-hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) analogue.

The 'original' 3.6mg formulation of Zoladex was shown to be as effective as orchiectomy (surgical castration) in controlling the spread of prostate cancer, thus offering men a choice between medical treatment and surgery.

This 12-13 week formulation of Zoladex is, a white to cream coloured, cylindrical implant with a 1.5 mm diameter that contains 10.8 mg of goserelin. Given by subcutaneous injection, into the anterior abdominal wall, the biodegradable implant slowly dissolves, delivering therapeutic levels of the drug continuously over a period of 12 weeks. This means an injection will be required every 12 to 13 weeks.






NB: I asked to be able to inject myself on this occasion, not sure why now; but it seemed like a good idea at the time! Well according to witnesses (the doctor and my wife) I was a real 'pro' (professional).

The instructions were simple: "Grab a good fistful of excess skin ... (to the left of the 'belly button') ... and in one swift downward motion plunge the syringe into the abdomen right up to the hilt! Then depress the plunger and this will release the implant."

Well I must admit, in some strange way, I actually enjoyed the experience!

Perhaps it was because I was 'in control'; for the first time since the cancer was discovered. Perhaps it was the release of adrenalin, associated with the whole procedure; I'm not sure.

However, afterwards I do recall the doctor stating: "Very well done ... but ... I'm still charging you for the procedure, even though you administered the implant yourself"!

The success of this treatment (in my case Goserelin 10.8mg every 3 months) will continue to be be monitored by regular blood tests which look specifically at the Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) readings.


Good News

Further good news, came in the form of a 'green light' to commence radiotherapy ASAP. Originally, it was planned that I would have two consecutive implants (duration of 6 months) and then, providing the PSA level was at an appropriate level, we would the consider radiotherapy.

The Urologist was so pleased with the PSA result and so keen to start the radiotherapy treatment, that he rang one of our largest public hospitals in the country, and spoke to the doctor who would oversee the procedure and monitor my treatment from now on; and asked him (as a personal favour) to 'fast track' the procedure!

The upshot ... I had an appointment made available to me the very next morning to discuss the options available to me, moving forward!!

No comments: