Wednesday 19 December 2007

Keyhole Surgery?

I have been thinking lately about the procedure that (hopefully) awaits me sometime in the new year - i.e. 'Keyhole Surgery'!

I say hopefully because the early results (PSA, Gleason Score, Biopsy and CT Scan) seemed to rule out this option. Let me explain.

All of the tests mentioned above, indicated that the cancer had spread beyond the 'capsule' of the prostate. This meant that 'cure' by removal of the tumour was not an option. The best case scenario, meant that I would undergo 'hormone therapy' and could look forward to 3-5 years of life!

Well ... something amazing occured from the time of the Bone Scan which followed only days after the CT Scan. No evidence of the cancer spreading beyond the capsule was found! This meant that a 'cure' became a possibility.


A subsequent blood test showed a 71% reduction in my PSA level even though the treatment was only a few weeks old!

If all goes well and according to plan; the hormone therapy will continue to reduce the size of the tumour and force it into remission. At some subsequent stage, a course of radiotherapy will be introduced to 'kill' the cancer and make surgery a viable option for a cure!

Given that my Urologist prefers to utilise a 'laproscopic surgical procedure' I reasoned that I should conduct some research on this technique. What follows is a video depicting the procedure itself and the benefits it entails. Prostate Cancer - Video

No comments: