Thursday 25 October 2007

Biopsy Explained

Thursday 25/10/2007 - 4:30pm.

Attended the Urologist's Surgery to receive the results of the transrectal biopsy. As predicted, the cancer was not contained in the prostate. I was then given the shattering news that I had 'advanced and incurable prostate cancer' and was told that the only real treatment option was hormone therapy.

I was told that the cancer was very agressive with a 'Gleason Score' of 9. The Gleason score (the most commonly used biopsy grading system) indicates whether the cancer is slow or fast growing depending on a score out of 10. The higher the score, the faster (more agressive) the cancer.

After pressing for a prognosis that I could understand i.e. 'how long have I got'; I was told the following:-

Under a 'best case' scenario, I was informed that I could expect to live for a further 3 to 5 years. However, if the 'worst case' scenario were in play then I could look forward to just 12 to 18 months.

It was then determined that further tests be undertaken, including a CT scan and a Bone Scan, in order to determine the most appropriate treatment options.

No comments: