Saturday 8 December 2007

My PSA Reading

Updated: Now includes a video presentation on PSA Readings. Click on the video link below; also visit the host site for more educational videos.

On Friday 30th November, I attended our local GP's surgery for another blood test. Specifically, this blood test was to:


  • Determine whether my PSA reading [previously 84.8] had begun to drop. Thus showing that the hormonal therapy I had been undergoing for a little over 4 weeks, had in fact begun to have the desired affect; and

  • Determine whether my cholesterol readings had improved as a result of my [now] 'extremely healthy' diet.


I was told that it is quite normal for the PSA to rise after a trans-rectal biopsy. I was also told to bear in mind, that I had only begun the hormone therapy 4 weeks prior to the blood test. [Orally for the first two weeks (i.e. Androcur - anti-agonist), followed by an LHRH implant and continuing the oral regime until two weeks after the implant procedure].



Well ... the results are in! And, as often happens, there is good news and bad news. The bad news relates to the fact that one of my readings had not altered at all!


My 'cholesterol level' has refused to budge!!


The good news ... well my PSA levels have gone down - very significantly! My previous PSA was 84.8. It is now 12 [only one month after receiving the LHRH implant]!!


For more on the significance of a PSA test I invite you to watch the following video, 'Prostate Cancer Predictors - PSA Test'. Other educational videos in the series are available at: Sutter Health.

No comments: